Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Old Habits Die Hard


I was talking to a friend the other day, and to use his terminology 'My car is a mobile library. I'm always learning in there.' Of course I had a perpetual chuckle in my head after he said that because he's purports to be a scholar but that's just an auto-tuned version of a geek! Not that I have anything against geeks because daily at work, I'm immersed in their tales of LAN parties and character levels on D&D all while forced to watch as they make a mockery of fashion in their 'Do I look like the Helpdesk?' and 'Will work for babes' t-shirts. Should I mention the sneakers with the laces pulled so tightly that it seems that becoming a foot amputee is inevitable due to no blood circulation ? I say this all in jest, however, because the talks with them are often the highlight of my day.

While my car is mobile, it's my temporary escape from the insanities of my life! Yes, insanities because many of the events that fill up my life drive me bananas. I don't want to learn how to do anything in my car except avoid getting mayo that's sloshed on my Whopper on my seats and drive with my elbow while I'm trying to put on make-up. [Did I mention that I absolutely love make-up? ] It's been brought to my attention by several people that I'm a menace to the public, both drivers and pedestrians, when I'm behind the wheel. I'm somewhat offended by that statement because the state of Georgia says that I CAN drive at least until July 19, 2011, and Progressive has given me the honor of being a Platinum member who gets her bank account bled each month. Who's complaining though?

I think that the statements about my vehicular activities are the naysayers way of relishing the fact that I'm great at what I do. I can talk on the phone, check homework, and write a check for the Krispy Kremes that I just purchased, so my multi-tasking skills are superb. I've often found myself two-stepping (my dancing abilities are extremely limited) while sitting in my car when I'm listening to the latest music, and they are a little jealous that I look so cool doing it. Recording voice memos while driving is all the rage, so perhaps they are annoyed that their memories are failing, and my to-do lists remain intact? Whatever the case may be, let me luxuriate in MY car even if it's only a Nissan Altima and has recently melted color crayons in the back seats, a week's worth of mail and catalogs, and coupons for all of the local restaurants! Although my driving may be at times treacherous to others, I'm always DWI....driving while intelligent!




No comments:

Post a Comment